Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Chicken Stew!

Here's another recipe of a dish I made, chicken stew. The baby corn and mushrooms in particular make a good combination for a nice, tasty soup!

1 whole packet of baby carrots, halved and quartered
2 cartons of mushrooms (portabello, oyster, button etc.), sliced
2 trays of chicken fillet, skinless
1 head of broccoli
4 small potatoes
2 medium-sized onions
1 whole garlic bulb, chopped
1 pack of baby corn, halved


For extra flavour (optional):

chicken stock (has MSG, salt and sugar, but I buy the small bottle instead of cubes so can control how much is added)
oregano, ground
thyme, ground

Cooking:
I use a rice cooker pot for all my cooking. First I boil the water, filled about less than a quarter of the pot, and then add chicken stock. Baby carrots go in first, with the baby corn. (5 mins on average)

Once that starts boiling, I add the mushrooms, onions, potatoes and chicken fillets. When the stew is boiling again and i'm sure the chicken is properly cooked, I add the garlic and broccoli (these two last because they become soft and mushy very fast when boiled too long), with the extra condiments. (about 10 mins on average)

After leaving for another 3-5 mins should be ready to eat. This is good for 3-4 meals/persons.

Nice thing about it, is you can use it (minus the soup) for salad as well.

No comments: